The best thing about moving around is that you get the chance to explore new areas and tastes. Since we are here in “Swabia” we got many books about the area and regional cooking. I also found a book about Sunday cakes. Germans are well known for their breads, pastries and cakes. Thus it is a great experience to explore German bakeries. But I have never seen so many bakeries as in ”Swabia”. You find bakeries nearly at every corner. Just to give you an idea: We have 8 (in words “eight”) bakeries here within 500 meters! There is a lot to explore I picked this recipe to start with. And it’s title is very promising I thought It is impossibly easy and delicious! Try yourself! Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!
For the apples:
1 1/2 kg apples
4 tbsp lemon juice
For the dough:
400 ml single cream
200 g sugar
2 drops vanilla essence
zest of 1 organic lemon
5 medium size eggs
400 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
For the topping:
100 g butter
100 g sugar
4 tbsp milk
100 g flaked almonds
- Peel the apples, quarter and core the apples. Dice the apples lengthwise into thin slices. Pour the lemon juice over the apples, mix well and set aside.
- For the dough: whip cream with sugar, vanilla essence and lemon zest for 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and continue whipping a minute for each egg.
- Sieve flour and baking powder into a bowl. Carefully stir in flour and baking powder into the cream mixture.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease a large baking tray.
- Pour dough into the baking tray and spread evenly. Now arrange apple slices onto the dough in columns. Bake cake for 20 Minutes at 180ºC.
- In the meantime heat a pan and melt the butter. Stir in sugar, milk and flaked almonds. Bring this mixture to a boil and set aside.
- After 20 minutes baking time pour butter-almond mixture evenly over the apples and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes. Serve warm or cold with a nice cup of tea or coffee. Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!