Long time ago, our landlady used to come on Saturdays to visit us and to learn how to prepare Turkish aubergine dishes. One day my mother dared to ask her if she could teach her how to prepare a German cheese cake. Thus one Saturday our landlady came with all the ingredients and taught our mum how to make the dough, the cheese cream and how to whip the egg whites until firm. It was fascinating for me. I helped to clear up, just to be able to stay in the kitchen and watch them. Now more than thirty years later, I teach others how to prepare all the different varieties of German cheese cakes.
In my opinion today’s recipe is the easiest way to bake a delicious German cheese cake. When my family calls up to inform me they are coming for a visit, I just mix the ingredients and bake this cake ready and waiting for them. I admit, I always have Quark in my fridge for emergency cheese cake reasons This cheese cake is just how it should be: fluffy and creamy and delicious! You can serve this cake plain for tea or coffee, or with warm raspberries or cherries. Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!
For the pastry:
150 g plain flour
100 g blanched and finely ground almonds
100 g butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 small egg
1 pinch salt
a few tablespoons of milk if needed
For the filling:
750 g quark or low fat cream cheese
2 1/2 large egg yolks, save 1/2 egg yolk for brushing the filling later
125 g sugar
1 leveled tsp baking powder
50 g wheat semolina or corn semolina like polenta (preferably white)
40 g custard powder
250 ml milk
3 large egg whites, whipped until firm
For brushing the filling:
1/2 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk
- To make the pastry mix all ingredients in a large bowl until you get a smooth pastry roll. Add as much milk as just needed to form the pastry. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC. Grease the baking tin (26-28 cm diameter).
- In a large bowl mix the ingredients for the filling. Gently fold in the whipped egg whites.
- Roll the pastry bigger than the baking tin. Then transfer the pastry into the baking tin and cover the bottom and the sides of the baking tin with pastry. Pour in the filling and spread evenly.
- In a small bowl mix egg yolk and milk for brushing and gently brush the surface of the cheese cake.
- Bake in the oven until golden at 175ºC for 45-60 minutes. Let it cool down to set. Then transfer the cake onto a serving plate. Serve with tea or coffee. Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!