The people in Franconia call these pastry “Streuselbletz”, the bakers call them “Streuseltaler”. In fact these pastry is an easy, sweet and over sized biscuit ideal for tea time in the afternoon. It is full of energy loaded sugar Before each train travel, we stop at a bakery to get a hot cup of tea and something sweet for our journey. And this Streuseltaler are besides pretzels our favorite pastry. The bottom layer is a smooth dough and it is topped with a mountain of sweet crumble which is covered with an even sweeter glaze after baking. Unhealthy? Maybe, but just delicious They are best fresh from the oven with a cup of hot tea, coffee or hot chocolate! Yummy! Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!
For the pastry:
500 g plain flour
1 heaped teaspoon of dry yeast (a small package)
75 g sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
50 g butter
250 ml warm milk
For the crumble:
300 g plain flour
200 g butter, cut into small pieces
150 g sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
For the glaze:
250 g icing sugar
3-4 tablespoons of water or lemon juice
- For the pastry: Sieve flour into a bowl. Make a mould in the middle and add yeast, one teaspoon sugar and warm milk. Whisk yeast lightly with sugar and milk and set aside for 10 minutes. Add the remaining sugar, butter, egg and salt. Mix and knead until well combined. When dough is smooth, cover and leave in a warm place for an hour until it rises double it‘s size.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper. Sprinkle flour on a work surface. Divide the dough into 8- 10 equal pieces and form the pieces into balls. Use a rolling pin to roll out each ball into a circle of 5″ inch / 12-13 cm diameter (size of a saucer). Place the circles onto the baking tray. Continue until all balls are rolled out into circles. Set aside in a warm place to rise for 30 Minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220 ºC (fan 200 ºC).
- In the meantime prepare the sweet crumble: Whisk flour and sugars together. Add butter and rub everything together with your hands until you have lovely crumbs.
- Now portion the crumbs evenly over the circles and spread them carefully. Bake the circles with crumbs in the oven for about 15 minutes until golden. Let the pastry cool down a little.
- In the meantime prepare the glaze. In a bowl mix icing sugar and water or lemon juice to a smooth mixture. Brush the baked pastry evenly with glaze. Serve with hot tea, coffee or chocolate. Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!