About two decades ago, my husband-to-be introduced me to his mother and her cake with plums. She kneads a yeast dough and arranges the plums on top. Delicious! You won’t believe it, but it was my first cake with plums.
For a long time I was convinced that these sort of plums called “Zwetschge” in Germany are very special and local in Germany, because they do have so many recipes for these plums. The “Zwetschge” is not round, is more longish, juicy and delicious, not too sour and not too sweet, just perfect
Later I found out that “Zwetschge” is originated in the Middle East. Thus I just needed my husband-to-be to introduce me to his mum and her cake with plums to find out that I was predestined to love this cake
In Summer I visited some orchards in Konya and saw many varieties growing around my birth town. I need a word with my grandparents later why they didn’t have one in their garden.
Mostly I bake the recipe I got from my mother in law back then. Now it’s your turn The dough is a smooth yeast dough with whole-grain wheat flour. You can also use whole-grain spelt flour. I baked my cake with wild einkorn. I like the nutty and crunchy taste combined with loads of plums on top. Wonderfully juicy, delicious Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!
Ingredients for a large baking tray 30×40 cm (12×16 inch)
For the dough:
400 g whole-grain wheat or spelt flour
1 teaspoon yeast
150 ml handwarm milk
60 g honey
80 g butter
1 pinch salt
For the topping:
2 kg Zwetschgen or plums, halved and pitted
- Put flour into a large bowl and make a mould in the centre. Pour in handwarm milk and stir in yeast.
- Add honey, egg, butter and pinch of salt and start kneading the dough until all ingredients are well combined and you have a nice smooth and soft dough. Cover with cling film and let it rest a little.
- Meanwhile wash the plum, half and remove the kernels.
- Preheat oven to 220ºC. Grease a large baking tray. Put portions of dough onto the greased baking tray and spread the dough evenly using your fingers and palms. Arrange the plums on top in rows.
- Bake plum cake at 200-220ºC about 30-45 minutes.
- Serve cake warm with whipped cream or caster sugar. Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!