A few weeks ago my friend Claudia surprised me with Meyer lemons. I had read a lot about this wonderful fruits but I couldn’t get them at our small farmers market. You can imagine how happy I was to finally get the chance to try out these fruits. Thank you Claudia!
Meyer lemons look like small oranges in the shape of lemons and they taste of lemon and orange in one fruit. The peel is very thin and soft but extremly aromatic. When I started to take off the zest, the kitchen was filled with an orange-lemon cloud. Wonderful! There I decided to take out a recipe from my collection, which was resting there for the last 20 years. I wanted to use the zest and the juice of this wonderful fruits for the pastry as well as for the filling.
The tarte is juicy and creamy at the same time. In Germany I use only “sweet creme butter” for the filling. In English speaking world you can use either clotted cream or double cream. The pastry is similar to shortbread dough with lemon aroma.
Outside the sun was shining and inside the sunny golden lemon tarte was waiting for us. We had a wonderful afternoon tea with fresh-creamy-lemon tarte. A perfect day! Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!
For the pastry:
200 g plain flour
100 g butter
80 g sugar
1 medium egg
1 pinch of salt
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
For the filling:
4 medium eggs
150 g clotted cream or double cream
150 g sugar
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon corn starch
- For the pastry mix all ingredients in a bowl and knead to a shortcrust pastry. Cover with cling foil and keep in the fridge for one hour.
- For the filling mix eggs, sugar and zest and juice of two lemons in a bowl using a hand mixer until creamy. Add clotted cream or double cream and corn starch and mix until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 175ºC. Grease well a tarte baking dish with 28 cm diameters.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface a bit bigger than the baking dish (I use sheets of cling foil and roll out the pastry between cling foil, this way the dough doesn’t stick to the rolling pin. Afterwards I discard the cling foil and transfer the pastry into the baking dish). Transfer pastry into the baking tin and press the edges about two finger broad high because the tarte doesn’t rise too much. Pour in the filling over the dough and level the filling using a spatula.
- Bake tarte in the oven on middle rack for 30-35 minutes at 175ºC until golden. Let the tarte cool down and enjoy it with tea or coffee. Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!