Happy Birthday dear Bushcook! We wish you all the best for the future and hope to read more culinary reports on your food blog.
I made some Turkish pastry for your birthday event “Souvenirs in der Kueche”
Everytime when I visit my family in Turkey I bring special ingredients back home. This time I had tahini with roasted sesame seeds and date syrup. Delicious!
I love this dark nutty tahini and the date syrup is just heavenly.
For my pastry I form two groups of each four dough balls.
I roll out the dough balls to 10 inch diameter and spread tahini on three of them and place them over each other.
The last one I do not cover with tahini.
I roll out these group at once to a one big rectangle. Now I spread again evenly tahini on top of this rectangle.
Starting from the narrow side of the dough sheet I roll the rectangle into a thick roll.
I slice this roll into 1 inch pieces.
Now using a Turkish rolling pin or a wooden spoon handle I press firmly into the center and to get a “butterfly shape”.
Now I can transfer these pastries on a parchment paper and bake until golden brown.
The pastries are so fine flaky and slightly crispy and delicious with tea or coffee. Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!
For the dough:
200 ml milk
50 ml neutral oil such as sunflower oil
1 small egg
2 tablespoons of date syrup
1 teaspoon dried yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
about 500 g plain flour
8-10 tablespoons of sesame paste (tahini)
To brush: 1 small egg yolk mixed with 2 tablespoons of water
- Put all ingredients for the dough into a food processor for kneading and let it first knead at lowest level for 2 minutes and then about 5 minutes on higher level. Let the dough rest until dobbled in size.
- Half the dough. Form each half to four dough balls. Roll out these dough balls to 10 inch diameter pieces. Spread on three of them tahini and layer them over each other. The forth layer you leave plain. Now roll out this two groups of four dough layers each into a rectangle in the size of your baking tray. Spread on this rectangle again tahini. Starting from the narrow side roll the rectangle into a thick roll. Slice about 1 inch pieces. Now using a Turkish rolling pin or a wooden spoon handle I press firmly into the center and to get a “butterfly shape”. Place these on parchment paper leaving space between them. Let the pastry rest again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Mix egg yolk and water in a bowl. Brush the pastry with egg-wash.
- Bake the pastry in the oven until golden.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve warm. Enjoy it! Afiyet olsun!